Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Can All Amputees Please Put Both Arms In The Air

Now normally you never see an amputee in the developed world as it is classed as ugly and all amputees get prosthetics that look like the real deal, in fact Paul McCartneys Wife has a false leg that looks better than her good one. Aside from that it is almost unheard of to see an amputee without their artificial limb. But I can tell you never have I seen so many amputees than in Costa Rica. Its like a plague of limblessness broke out and limbs were just falling off. I couldn’t get over the fact that there was so much of it about. Ok I know that medicine is much less developed but to see so many people without arms and legs was shocking, but there are several facts that you have to consider. Lots of people work on the land still in Costa Rica and they use very dangerous tools like Machetes. Long and very sharp and it is easy to cut yourself and in the tropics with a dirty wound infection must be easy and if you leave something going nasty and oozing lumps of green puss then your leg or hand or arm is going to fall off, eventually with the help of a surgeons knife of course. But I still find it shocking and the numbers do amaze me, in fact most people don’t seem to think it is that out of the ordinary. Perhaps it is an extreme form of body sculpture, woohoo look at me I only have one arm, perhaps dancing in the nightclub on one leg, spinning on your head with only one leg in the air is the latest in craze. The most bizarre thing I have seen was a crew of aerobic instructors and the leader only had one arm and wasn’t the slightest bit afraid to wave his stump about in the air, what made it more bizarre was the fact that the “girl” attendant behind him following his moves was in fact a transvestite with silicone implants, as the muscles were just huge and bulging, no visible bulge down below thank goodness , I had only just eaten when I saw that, but the “girl” was making eyes at me, but even though “she” was good looking I only had eyes for the amputee. I have seen something as crazy though, I saw a legless man in Equador hopping up and down the middle of the street, eddy Murphy style as in the film trading places. I felt it unfair to throw paper money out of the window at him as he may get run over by a car in his rush to retrieve it so I was actually doing him a favour and saving him from certain death under the wheels of a huge truck. Perhaps some of us in the developed world would think that a blessing for him though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home