Friday, November 04, 2005

Butterfly Giant or the Reincarnation of Helen of Troy

Today I found a giant butterfly that I can honestly say took away my breath, I had to climb on a door to reach the creature and it was huge and a startling array of colours and patterns, I was shocked by its size and just fantastic colours, how evolution came up with a design like this I will never be able to understand, perhaps it was intelligent design, but if that was the case, who designed the designer, perhaps that was super intelligent design. That is another whole Blog sometime. So I still had a hundred or so other beautiful much smaller butterflies to release but I delicately held it in my fingers to stop it flapping as they can destroy their own wings very easily if they go crazy flapping away inside a bag. I walked about 100 yards away and opened up my bag and released all the smaller ones and then held up my hands and sat the butterfly on my hand to see what it would do, funnily it started to lick my finger, it was taking in all the salts from my sweat, apparently butterflies will take salts from any source and a typical method of catching these butterflies is to urinate on some bare earth and the butterflies can smell it a good way off with their antennae, as that is their smelling organs. So my huge Morpho butterfly was drinking my sweat and not really being bothered about being sat on my hand I was able to open its wings so I could have a very close look at the colours. It was a sort of pale iridescent blue around the centre of the wing and then turned to gold around the edges and then jet black around the outside with white spots along the edge, it was quite amazing. The underside was also just as colourful and it was full of white lines and huge eye spots that were blue and purple and green, just a rainbow of colours and it then lifted off with ease.


It didn’t flap like other butterflies, it sort of wafted it wings gently and then was able to glide into the wind, I didn’t think it had aerofoil wings but it was able to generate lift with no problem and just went away like a small bird of prey. The wings must have been 8 inches wingtip to wingtip, and for metrical people that is 8 inches. It was one of those occasions where words failed me, I was left with such a feeling of awe that I could do nothing but watch it just sail away like a mirage. I was feeling elated that I had saved such a fantastic creature and that perhaps the intelligent designer could let me win the lottery for saving one of his most wonderful creations. And if not then he can kiss my lily white ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home