Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Another Weekend Birding and Cleaning

Sounds a funny combination but as a responsible tenant I have been cleaning my apartment as it was becoming a swamp, I have to share a secret, I have hairy legs and generally pretty hairy, and the spot in the bathroom where i dry myself after i shower, the floor looked like a shaggy rug, the hair was piled high and as much as I hate cleaning I just had to get the vacuum out and go round the entire apartment and get rid of the hairs everywhere. Tiled floors are nice to look at but are a pain in the ass to keep clean unless you have a girl from El Salvador doing all the cleaning and preferably cooking also. but my wife is back home doing legal stuff and getting the little girl through school and i will be joining them sometime soon. but until then I have to clean up after myself and that includes the toilets and vacuuming my leg hairs off the bathroom floor.

Well this weekend my friendly neighbour who takes me birding managed to fit in a few hours on sunday, even though she is in the process of moving house, to take me to the local Rainbow Pitta spot and we were indeed lucky to see it and also a fantail that was also very attractive, We went to some mangrove swamps near town and just went wandering around until we heard some birds and went that way, we found some nice forest kingfishers and then we found the Rainbow Pitta, we moved to a different site where we had to walk along the beach heading towards the gay pickup spot at the nudist beach, there was a large collection of single men wandering about looking as though they had lost something but I was OK as I had my guide with me to protect me. We did see lots of interesting birds along the beach area, some lovely rainbow Lorikeets, everything is wonderfully coloured here that rainbow really does fit.

The Amazing Rainbow Pitta



The also amazing Rainbow Lorikeet



Little Bronze Cuckoo that I managed to get a shot of myself with my camera, that i hardly ever use, it is too tricky to get a good shot



my Local guide, we shall call her Doc



No murders here this week, I think but the death rate on the roads is spiralling out of control, there are dead people everywhere from managing to wrap there cars around the power poles, here they are made out of steel for the hurricanes and they dont move when a car hits them at any speed, the car tends to bend around it like a banana, usually killing everyone inside, the death rate is 6 times that of the rest of the country and they also had a random breath test evening and 1 in 31 drivers were over the limit, drunk as skunks, this is one of the root problems with the death rate, too many drunks drugged and stupid folks on the road. But it does thin them out a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home