Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Wanderer Returns to Peru with Bats and House Tales


I had a hectic time getting to the airport yesterday to make my return, I had to go to a meeting to see if my offer of payment would be acceptable to the owner of the house I found. We had spent the previous day getting a tour by a very well connected property dealer, he had a top of the range Range Rover, very expensive but this guy deals in the top end of the housing market in Costa Rica, working with the US and European buyers. Jenny had made a comment about wanting a pool in a condo, so this guy dragged us around some very bad looking places as they had pools and only when I was very tired and said that a pool is not necessary then this guy drove us to a small gated residential neighbourhood and inside we drove into a gated Condo and very secure it was. The houses were perfectly put together and they looked large and the price was no more than the others we had seen. Once inside I found a huge paradise of all those little things that you need, like cupboards everywhere, a door into the laundry area for dirty boots and umbrellas, a huge master bedroom for the bamboo chairs and plenty of space to swing the cat. All the woodwork was very nice quality and well put together. It had 3 major bedrooms and a small guest room complete with small bathroom, there were two more complete bathrooms, and a understairs toilet, it was fantastic, the only thing was we don’t really have the money for it yet, I have been saving for 2 years and we have the major part of the deposit, but I said I have to have it and I will do anything to make sure we get it, it was the house of my dreams other than it has no garden and is very expensive by Costa Rican standards. So yesterday morning before I flew to Peru I had to have a meeting with the owner who is a Cuban exile living in Miami with relatives doing his property developing business in Costa Rica for him. He told me sadly that the hurricane Wilmer had knocked the shit out of his house in Miami, but I didn’t feel sorry for him. He was actually a very nice person and we got along fine, I said I could pay 30% now and 30% over the next 6 months and at the end of 6 months pay the rest. He seemed happy but we are not allowed to move in until we pay all of the money. I am happy that I get the house but would love to move in straight away, life is such. So I had to drive like crazy home get changed and have lunch and then go to the airport. Everything seemed slow but I did get business class this time only because it was only $15 more so I paid the difference myself. I got a nice meal and drank nearly a full bottle of wine myself. It was very nice and didn’t make me feel that drunk, I got to the Hotel feeling happy and excited, this is bad as I didn’t feel sleepy at all, by midnight I was getting desperate and took a valium, I did sleep OK but felt like shit when I got up, not enough sleep by far. So today when I arrive I find 98 e-mails to be answered and demands for documentation waiting for me, so I had 4 crazy hours trying to get up to speed with the project and see what I can find out about the last months operation. Of course I wanted to have a look at the moths and butterflies and anything else I could find on the plant. Unfortunately I found a tiny bat that was wrapped in a spiders web




This is hard to believe that a bat can be the victim of a spider but this Bat was only as big as my thumb end, perhaps just over an inch long, it looked very fresh so it was last nights victim, its hea is so small that it is impossible to see its eyes.the place was alive with moths as usual and some very interesting butterflies also, some new species to me, I have found out that I have also got to coordinate a major shutdown coming soon and will need maybe 20 guys to do a major overhaul of the turbine combustion system, I don’t know where they are all going to sleep, but they will squeeze them in somewhere. Sounds like fun. I will give you a full account of my month long break including caving and beaches and anything else that pops into my head along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home