Thursday, November 20, 2008

Taxi Drivers???

The local taxi driver that we have adopted is a funny guy, not that he tells funny jokes but just his mannerisms, he probably wouldn’t be appreciative of me saying that but he is a funny little Mexican mustachioed shaven headed guy, his taxi is appalling but as we only drive in straight lines up and down the coastal highway I am not too concerned, the seatbelts probably stopped working a long time ago and he must have just cut them off and the stub ends are still hanging out of the slots. The car rattles and squeaks as it drives along, I imagine sometimes that the wheel bearings are shot and a wheel will fall off when they finally collapse, the door handle in the passenger side is missing and a piece of string is the opening device, the back seat is pretty grotty all stained and part of the roof lining is missing but he has such a happy disposition that I couldn’t think of getting rid of him, he is waiting for us in the morning and at night he is ready to pick us up, he loves showing off his cell phones and waves at everyone in town even the police, when he took us to the chicken place for lunch, he just cut across the traffic like nobody else was on the road so crazy and typical Latin-American. He was telling us since the local drug wars have been raging the number of tourists has fallen to nothing and everyone here is suffering, our hotel at night is like a ghost town, maybe 6 or 8 guests in the restaurant at night, there maybe a few more who eat much later but the hotel is really empty. We are getting a local lady to do our laundry as the hotel doesn’t do it as a service, which I thought was bizarre, so she comes in a does a bag of laundry for $5, I can just imagine her in a stone sink bashing the laundry away on some rocks with a little bar of soap, the funniest laundry cleaning I have ever seen was in Sri Lanka, I accidentally walked the wrong way around the back of the hotel and into the laundry area, there was a little man in a loin cloth stood in what I could only call a concrete box full of sheets and soapy water and he was stamping away, the human washing machine, he looked at me as though I was an alien, I was looking at him as though he was an alien, I kept walking and tried not to think about it anymore. Human washing machine what next, human farming machine????. Only kidding.

Local drug war update- 4 more found dead in my town last night, Mutilated-Oh Hell!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home