Saturday, April 30, 2005

A Heady Mix of Nostalgia, Karaoke, Alcohol and Britishness

It happened that one of the commissioning managers had his 50th birthday last night and the carryings on we had brought back fond memories of after hours drinking back in the UK many years ago. The fact that everyone was steaming drunk helped with the festivities but never the less it was the Brits that once again were the ones that were creating all the merriment and thoroughly enjoying themselves. We had a karaoke machine and I happen to be addicted to getting up and singing, it was a hangover from my dad who had tried to be a semi professional club singer and failed miserably, but he would be playing Bing Crosby, Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra constantly and I was forced to listen to the Black and White minstrel show on the radio as a young boy on a Sunday evening while we were all having our evening meal together. So I know all the old songs from way back when and I even started going to Karaoke with my dad a good while back before he lost his marbles. We would do a few duets together so I am an extrovert and love getting up and trying to sing songs and even deliberately destroying a song just for a laugh. So getting back to the party there were a few guys singing most of the songs and we would do old ones and sometimes duets and then as a group we would all sing a song without the music all very crazily and drunk and laughing our asses off at the same time. This is something I think that only Brits could do and do it properly without the feeling of embarrassment. Now can someone tell me why the Brits are so good at this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home