Thursday, July 20, 2006

Life With 7 Days Unitl I Leave Project Malvinas Forever, I Think

Well I am trying to get through my last few days in the jungle here in Peru with as few complications and as stress free as possible. The problem is people keep asking me to do things, now I am finding it irritating and resent them asking me to do anything, I am only here to kill time until I fly to Russia. I am still playing with my pictures from the internet and finding some nice interesting bird pictures, I found a photographers site that had some quite fantastic pictures of birds in Costa Rica but he did make them a little small, normally you have to download every photo one at a time let it open before you can then copy it, he had loaded some code into it to stop copying it from the page but I went to the gallery directory and he had made a bad directory and all the files were just stored without any permissions set to look at the root directory, so I just right-clicked myself to death copying everything in there, over 1000 high quality photos of the nicest birds in Costa Rica, it took two hours even then, but some are already incorporated into my book. “Why” do you say am I doing it, well in this sort of job you have to have a time killer, something that takes away the boredom of just waiting for things to happen. Now as I have always been a keen ornithologist or Hornythologist as some others would say, I have had a love of all things wild and birds especially. So looking at some fantastic bird shots to me is relaxing and heavenly. One important factor in me starting this was that I have been searching for a book that gives you actually photos of the birds, to be able to make a correct identification, but there isn’t one and I always wondered why, I found out the other day why, I asked a photographer how much he would charge for the licence to use some pictures of his, I was shocked to find out how much, $50 a picture for a 7 year licence. I calculated how much it would cost me to use all the pics I have got, it would cost over $1/2 million for a 7 year licence. That is just a non-starter, there is no way anyone would ever speculate that sort of money on producing a book that may sell a few hundred copies a year maybe a few thousand, you would have to charge $1000 a copy, totally unfeasible, so I decided the only way to do it is by not using licensed pictures. Borrowing them for an unlimited period, In Costa Rica copyright means nothing and the laws do not exist to protect it, and if they do exist they would never be enforced, all the video shops are using pirated DVD’s and even have all the latest movies using cinema copies. So me producing a low number bird DVD is not even on the radar. I have just got to keep it within the borders. Or I may sell it on the internet, but not sure how to get the money paid back to me, I am learning many things on this project, like how to fix the background on the webpage, some fancy code somewhere. Anyway as long as my Blog-site doesn’t get censored like my old buddy Slyght of nomadic tendancies, the Indian government thinks he is a subversive and needs to be eliminated, he should be careful the Indian jails are pretty miserable, he would have to use two of the locals to sleep on for a mattress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home