Sunday, July 16, 2006

Oh Woe!!! Is Jungle Life

Life is pretty tedious here in the jungle on operations, my daily tasks consist of making a screen capture of the operating machine to log the data, and I have a walk around the plant to make sure that we don’t have an oil fountain from a broken line, or that the whole contraption isn’t ablaze and the fire detectors haven’t seen it, or if there is a snake wrapped around some nice warm pipe to sleep on during the day. Well that is what I would like to happen to liven up the day. So I just go collecting butterflies from the fin-fan coolers and releasing them as I have been doing for the last year while I have been working here, this is the part I enjoy and find it a great release of tension to just forget the tedium and be away in my own little world. I have been watching the construction team building some new accommodation and I had already put my name on the room furthest away from the turbines to get less noise and just as I about to completely leave they are putting the beds in today, so they will be ready maybe in a week, I may get a weeks sleep in them. I have had one success here, I had complained many times about the amount of lighting in the plant as it was attracting an unbelievable amount of moths into the plant and finally my mails got to the right person and they have implemented a regime of much less lighting, changing the lights to low output and of a different type that attract less moths and actually around the turbines they have shut off the tower lights altogether. For me this is my towering achievement, having some light turned off, not really much to speak about is it.

The weather here is still as strange as you can imagine, this morning in the west it was a clear blue day with the sun blazing across the sky but to the east it was banks of fog rolling over the nearest hill and coming towards the plant but evaporating as it came across the open area of the plant, very spooky to look at and something that makes you stand back and look at for a while. The fog thing has always amazed me here, so unexpected. I am finding it hard to concentrate as I am just thinking about the next project I am going to, Russian Far East, and at this time of year it is going to be acceptable, and hopefully I am not going to be there for the winter. I am still trying to plan for my future project after Russia but in this game nothing is certain as we all know the only thing for definite is this life is death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home