Saturday, September 29, 2007

Tunisia really is a Tourist Resort

I cannot complain about being in a tourist resort as it makes life more bearable, In my first work spot I was only in the hotel two nights and it was a large very nice tourist hotel of the all inclusive type, but everyone was miserable in the hotel and I didn't like the place, it was too far out of town and just lifeless, I was moved to a town further into the country and along the tourist routes into a hotel that is a converted French Foreign Legion Fort,
here is the link
http://www.goldenyasmin.com/la-kasbah/en/index.htm

it is amazing and it is so nice and cosy and full of life with happy tourists in it, so i feel at home here and will start sleeping nicely finally. The job site is about 50 Km away and we have to drive past a surprising amount of agriculture, I was shocked to find not desert but fields what have been growing wheat and corn and olives of course but it is like any other industrialised agricultural economy, loads of goats but this is the Mediterranean you know. Onsite i have been given the task of training a younger guy on the control system and this is OK as he gets to do all the dirty work but it means i have very little to do, things will get busy when we have to start the unit up. I had been reading a blog about an ex-colleague who was backpacking around the north african region, he made it to Timbuktu on camel and boat, he was braver than me and when i found out i was heading this way i mailed him to find out where he was and he said in Tunisia, i was shocked and told him where i would be and he said he would drive over and share a beer with me. I got here and he turned up at my hotel and we went out to try and get a meal, but this is ramadan and we couldn't get anything to eat anywhere at all, but we could still get a beer at his hotel, we had a great night out and talked about all the old guys and wild times and things he is going to do now he is a lawyer, i told him I am looking forward to going to Australia, if they give it to me of course and how my future may pan out, we had a really good time but it is only the fact that GE has guys working all over the world that i could have possibly have bumped into someone i have worked with before in Tunisia, he had a great time and i am hoping to see some of the things he has seen, like the Mosque that is built with the colums from the temples of Carthage, inscripted with latin texts and crucifixes, very amusing.

1 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger slyght said...

dude, that rocks. ramadan does kinda suck when it comes to food and drink. jules is not liking it in qatar due to that. your hotel looks awesome. glad you finally found someplace you like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home