Sunday, September 16, 2007

Australia or Bust

I have been getting ready to travel out to Australia for the last two months almost, I have applied for my work permit and I have obtained my business visa to get out there early and get an apartment and sort out everything for a normal life, then it all went quiet, really quiet, i asked my manager about the dates for flying and I asked twice a week and I got nothing back, I then realised that something wasn't quite right about it, my date of flying came and went and finally my manager told me that the customer had problems with signing the extended contract and I had to go to another job in Australia for a month and then on to Darwin, then as the travel date also came and went, I asked again and was then told that the eventual start date had now been put off until after Christmas sometime so now they wanted me to go to Tunisia on a large LNG project, I wasn't too upset as in this game you can have three projects in 1 day and still never fly, i was excited about going to Oz but to be put off didn't surprise me. At least my new project in Tunisia is in a warm climate and I will be on the coast and I will have a hotel to stay in for the next 6 months or so, just until the Oz job comes off, life is full of surprises.

This last weekend I had a great couple of days, I always look up my old school buddy Bob, he is the funniest guy i know, he has the most ascerbic wit and totally off the wall humour that I have ever come across, we always go out for a beer and I stay at his very nice old house, we went out friday night and bullshitted all night as we do and when we went back to his house it was a perfectly clear night so we went out into the garden and watched the stars, talking like two middle aged men talk, we then went inside and ate cheese like we always eat cheese. In the morning he asked me if i had anything planned and he offered skeet shooting as I have never fired a shotgun ever before. We drove to the shooting club and I was feeling pretty scared as I was expecting to have my shoulder beaten to death by the gun. Bob gave me a full basic training of the shooting of skeet, he fired a few off to show me how the skeets flew from the launchers, and i went up for my first shot, I followed the skeet and blasted away, I hit it first shot and Bob was really surprised, I followed this with another few hits and then we progressed to two skeets and within a few i was hitting both, he was shocked to his roots, we were laughing like loonies, we progressed around the course and were competing on double teams, we had a fantastic blast literally. As repayment i had to fix all the computers in the house and get his new broadband router, I must have spent 5 hours doing all those but I left everything working like a dream. Life only ever gives you a few days like this and this was one of them, I may not be going to Oz yet but I am spending time with my family and friends here in the UK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home