Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My Wife Was Involved in a Major Car Wreck

about 12 weeks ago my wife was a passenger in a car crash that nearly took her life, I was working away in Abu Dhabi and my neighbour mailed me and my company to get me to come home ASAP, there was mention of pelvis damage and liver damage and a big bang on the head, it was far worse than I was told. She had sustained a near fatal side impact while being a rear seat passenger. The impact smashed her pelvis and broke it away from her spine, she broke a rib and her coccyx( Very Painful) and ruptured her liver plus she had two minor brain bleeds, I was in shock and denial but never once did i think she would die, but she was as close to death as any crash victim could be. She was in the intensive care unit for a week before she had surgery for her broken pelvis, they implanted a bar to hold the front to the back, they actually never told us most of the details, it was probably for the best.

She was in the hospital for 3 weeks until her wounds had healed enough, I have been caring for her at home ever since, she is allowed to shuffle about with walking sticks but she has an external metal fixator to hold the parts rigid and aid the recovery, but the pins into her pelvis are painful and any movement is a problem, she hopefully has the frame removed in 10 days time and then we can look forward to getting her walking properly, but as you will see in the x-rays her left side of the pelvis is displaced upwards, making her left leg shorter in effect, this is going to make life a little harder, her memory is missing many thing due to the knock on the head and the brain bleeds and also some possible damage to her optic nerves which have left her with some loss of vision, but in the long term she will recover and lead a normal life but that may take 2 years. I am back to work at the end of June as i need the money and to keep my career on track, we will see how the next few weeks progress, thanks to all who sent their best wishes

Totally broken but alive


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home