Friday, May 06, 2005

Weighing the anchor swabbing the decks and readying to hoist the mainsul

It is just a matter of clearing the decks ready for the move on, as well as getting everything ready for my first holiday back in the UK for the last 18 months, trying to do this as well as work on the running of 5 turbines and training a buffoon of a guy from Pakistan who really shouldn’t be let anywhere near a turbine even a microwave would be to much for him I think, his knowledge is appalling at best and non-existant at worst. So I am working as best I can within the limits of time and distance that will allow me. I have to be professional about leaving, I don’t want to leave a bitter taste in the mouth of anyone here who I am working for or with. It is hard not to crow about leaving though, I just want to sing it out loud that “I am leaving this shithole once and for all”, it isn’t cricket to do that, but just mentioning the fact that I am off to Peru or Brazil has the jaws twitching and the teeth grinding in envy, I am not intentionally pissing people off but it happens when a guy gets a good posting even if the money isn’t fantastic, working somewhere nice and relaxing and where you can live a normal life is worth a great deal of money. It is like having a home from home if you have a nice hotel or apartment, where you can go shopping and drinking and even partying ‘til dawn. In fact that is exactly how I felt when I was working in the USA. I was able to choose my hotel and I drove a nice hire car, the one I liked and I stayed in great hotels and ate what I wanted and danced ‘til dawn once or twice and it was heavenly, I was deeply depressed when they pulled me out of the USA, mortified even. I couldn’t believe it after nearly 3 years. What were they thinking of, then being sent to deepest darkest Turkmenistan was a shock to the system. I only lasted twelve weeks in that place after picking up a nasty bowel parasite, I quit my company and went on a 5 month holiday. So after recovering from that depression I ended up travelling to west Africa and it wasn’t for trying very hard to work in the USA again, there is just a glut of guys trying to work contract in the USA now and the salary is poor and I would be taxable. So it is hardly worth me going back there. I think I will end up working down south of the border forever, in South American and maybe Mexico. So I am distributing my e-mail and Blog site to the guys who I know would appreciate it and enjoy the silly humour and maybe keep in touch, it isn’t the guys who you would think, I have more of a rapport with the techs than the management, I think it is the fact that the engineers have no sense of humour just a head full of crap and total dedication to work, some of the engineers I have been unable to even strike up a conversation with, they either blank you or look the other way, pretending they haven’t seen you, what bullshit is that, I am not a demon I just want to say hello and receive a smile in return, so now they will be pissed off even more as I travel back to my home in central America and they move on to the next job in Norway, beautiful but oh so goddam cold and grey and miserable, and the beer is £5 a pint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home