Monday, July 18, 2005

My Foot Looks Like Swiss Cheese

My left foot now looks like Swiss cheese as well as smelling like it. I have recently written about the fact that I have been harbouring an infection on the sole of my left foot and after untold visits to the doctors both in the UK and to the company doctor in Malabo, not one of them diagnosed a fungal infection. It took weeks of long suffering by myself to self diagnose that I had something growing in the skin and I really needed it curing before I went to the empty quarter of the Amazonian jungle. I had some scrapings done and within 2 hours a diagnosis of fungal infection was given and I immediately bought the most powerful antifungal oral medication ever created by man, I was desperate after 5 years of this thing eating me slowly from the inside. I had known all along that it was alive and trying to take me over, what would I have looked like if I had allowed it to grow unfetted by powders and creams, my foot would have looked like I had been given a white woolly knee sock after 1 year and probably looked like Bigfoot after 3, so it has come to pass that it has been given the last rites and I pronounce it dead and gone, if it hadn’t been nailed to my foot it would be pushing up the daisies. The unfortunate thing is that since it has died it has left my foot looking very strange. When it was growing it was creating pockets where it was eating into my flesh and causing micro-blisters in the skin to form about 2-3 mm across, now it is dead these blisters are just hitting the surface of the skin on the sole of my foot and my foot looks like Swiss cheese, very strange it looks I can tell you, but what a relief to know that I have finally beaten it to death.
I have my desk full again of the beautiful but dead butterflies and moths that I have started collecting. I am not quite sure what it is that motivates me to collect and photograph these insects. They do look amazingly beautiful and there are many species here in this part of the world and I don’t know any of the names of any of them but I am drawn to the perfection which they seem to have been built by. The antennae are just incredible feats of engineering the legs are so flimsy that you wouldn’t try and make anything so fragile to hold up such a large winged creature. And the variety of the wing shapes and colours is just beyond the wildest imagination of any drug induced Photoshop expert. You couldn’t create these patterns if you had a thousand years of trying. So do I believe in god’s handy work in making these animals, not likely, he wouldn’t have done such a good job as that? He would have had the holy hell cross blazoned on all sufaces and the legs would be huge wooden affairs with brass bits on them and the colours would all be crimson and white only, there are a couple of small moths like that, so he may have tried his hand but mother nature told him to piss off and make plenty more hot air. When I am rescuing the trapped butterflies and moths I get a twinge of grief when I get one that is dead, this is so pathetic from a grown man. Getting upset over an insect but unfortunately I have always been like that and even as a child would protect all creatures from the morons at school who wanted to burn and crush and kill every crawling walking flying thing on the planet, like most kids actually. So this phenomenon is not new to me but it is like a crusade I have now, I feel responsible as it is my units that are trapping them and I make all efforts to rescue all of them trapped and even jumping about like a demented escapee punk rocker to get the ones high up the screens. This must make the locals laugh their asses off no end but every one who sees my collection in the office all comment how beautiful they are, pity this is translated into actions by them at home to protect the planet and environment around them, well neither do I but it sounded great and pretentious didn’t it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home