Friday, July 15, 2005

Professional engineer and Butterfly Recovery Agent

I have actually decided to be more professional in my approach to the work side of things, I just have to stop walking about the plant carrying bugs and butterflies in large plastic bags and dead things about my person, it is a point of amusement at the moment but if any problems occur they could use this as a weapon against me, I have been very efficient at eliminating problems and I have suggested some very useful things for the engineering team here which they have been very excited about. I suggested a trip philosophy change and they were so excited I thought they were going to throw a party; it was something that wasn’t that good as it could save them many unit shutdowns over the operating life of the units. If you work out how much it costs per unit shutdown for the maintenance it can be a huge amount of money so anything that prevent shutdowns and saves money is very welcome to them so at the moment I am God but that can only last until I am an asshole, and that is surprisingly easy when a problem arises that you struggle to eliminate. But hell what am I supposed to do for the 8 hours a day that I have nothing to do, I suppose I could write my journal and sit in the sun but I will continue with my butterfly rescue missions,
I have found to my horror that even the insectivorous bats can get caught in the whirlwind of the cooling fans, I found a desiccated little corpse of a small bat stuck on the mesh, I was and wasn’t surprised, I haven’t seen many bats here but this is the jungle and there are bats everywhere in the jungle that eat everything , even each other, there is a bat eating bat that has a snout of a wolf with long pointy teeth and it just homes in on the sonar of the smaller bats and snaps them up, there are frog eating bats and fish eating bats and vampire bats and basically anything that can be eaten there is a bat to eat it, but I have seen none other than the dead one. I went for an evening walk along the river which is very low with it being the dry season, all the rain is in my adopted country of Costa Rica, lashing down the week I was there before flying here. And the water was very clear and there was some bird life, I saw a nightingale of some sort and an egret and a group of Montezuma’s orupendula, now you may wonder how I know that bird, it is because it is a very common bird in Costa Rica. A large crow sized bird with a very distinctive yellow stripy tail, very identifiable. I will do more walking down the river while it is the dry season and go earlier as it was dark within 30 minutes and that was at 6.00pm, so I will now go and do my afternoon shift of butterfly rescue and two hoots to the laughing operators, they all think I am a mad Englishman, well nothing new there on my travels then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home