Tuesday, July 05, 2005

those who point the finger of doom in vane, will suffer the fate they invoke

Wednesday morning 5.30am and I am feeling like worse than shit, I haven’t had a decent sleep in 3 weeks and life here is far from relaxing. I have to be up and at the embassy and up to the clinic for my blood test results, I have also been suffering from a small skin problem on my foot for almost 5 years since i worked in Zambia on the Congo border town of Kitwe, I had originally thought it was normal athletes foot, so I sprinkled it with powder and massaged it with anti-fungal cream and it would shrink a little bit and then grow a little bit but never really doing anything, the occasional little red dot would appear in it and then go, so I really never gave it much though, but since I had been working in Equatorial guinea the problem had grown much worse, the skin became very thick on the sole and the redness got worse and even started hurting like I was being stuck with needles, I went to the camp doctor to be told that It was not fungus but an allergy and nothing to worry about, it would go with time, but after walking myself silly in the camp as they provided no transport it really flared up and when I got home this time I was hurting like hell and covered half my foot, I was getting worried and as I was going to another hot sweaty jungle camp I needed to find our what it was I decided to consult the clinic for some tests. I went to the Peruvian consul and picked up my Visa as I was told and I felt joy at going to the Amazonian jungle for the time , being a very keen bird watcher I was really enthusiastic about the prospect of seeing interesting birds and wildlife, after that nice thought passed, back to driving around like a nutcase, we then went to the clinic only to be told that he could only obtain 1 blood test showing if I was protected with the antibodies for chickenpox, this pissed me off as I could see my trip to Peru disappearing up the Amazon without a paddle. There was nothing I could do, he said he would have to send to the USA to get hold of the stuff if I needed it and that could take a lot of time and would be very expensive, time I didn’t have. I asked for a test to be carried out on my strange foot affliction, The medic who called himself a doctor took a scraping from my foot and 2 hours later proudly told me I had athletes foot, which I don’t really believe but I knew I was fungal in nature, I went to the pharmacy and bought an 8 week course of the strongest anti-fungal tablets available, I am going to kill this irritating bastard once and for all and it will clear up my dandruff to boot. So I took the results I had and went to mail my office with all the latest developments, I have also been struggling with the new girl in the office who did timesheets and expenses, now the last thing you need with that is someone who is not cooperative, and she was not in the least cooperative and it was difficult to get a response from her let alone some intelligible reply. This week she claimed that I was missing timesheets for several months and lots of expense receipts and copying it to my manager which infuriated me, this is ridiculous I thought, I haven’t missed anything for 14 months then she claims I am doing everything wrong, after the jetlag and the rushing about at home, I let rip with my own rather barbed response about the lack of information and non cooperation and total lack of any replies, I found out from my manager in Malabo that in fact I had missed nothing on the timesheets as she seemed to think that I lived in Malabo full time and that the missing timesheets were missing when in fact they didn’t exist as I was at home recovering from the jetlag. This message I sent on to my manager and telling him to get something done about the girl as it isn’t acceptable to have to deal with that attitude, the next day I got a response from all my mails to her, which was great I thought, a rocket up the arse didn’t do anyone any harm from time to time, and I sent back another mail to her but getting back an out of office reply that said: Cristina Agrisano doesn’t work here anymore, I was shocked and happy at the same time, she had shown herself to be incompetent and had decided to do the honourable thing and quit while ahead, I was feeling a little bit guilty but sneakily glad, the previous girl was excellent and had been moved upwards because of it, but in this game with guys working long hours and being remote you cannot afford to have slack workers at the end of the line, they need to be helping us guys in the field and making it easier for us, not pointing the accusatorial finger at us, those who point the finger of doom in vane, will suffer the fate they invoke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home