Friday, January 06, 2006

Looking For a Route to Work Heaven

I have been looking around at some jobs for project management, even though I am reasonably happy with the assignments and workload at the moment, anything could happen and as a professional I have keep looking for the next step upwards and onwards. There are several huge projects around worldwide that have the type of equipment where I could get a foothold in project management. The biggest by far is the huge Sakhalin II project in Russia, it has a huge LNG project amongst many other things and will require some expertise in gas turbine technology and I am really interested as it seems very interesting if not very very cold in winter but skiing and snowboarding are things I have never tried and I like to try my hand at new things from time to time. I have just been surfing for anything on the web about Sakhalin. I found a great site which was set up for all expats going to Sakhalin, there is a camp for families and it looks very nice indeed, maybe it is for Shell employees only but it is a very nice place to start with,

http://www.globaloutpostservices.com/sakhalin/living.htm

There seems to be a desperate desire by the Russians to make themselves available of the normal things of life there to be able to attract the right sort of people to help develop and run this enormous ( $27 billion ) project and make it run well plus having Shell as a partner makes this easier. Only problem is that I have become accustomed to the warm weather of the tropics and I am not sure I or my wife could stand the bitter cold weather and I have just been reading about a winter cyclone that has beaten the crap out of the south of the island and left it without power for about 5 days, now that could be bad as you wouldn’t have anything that works in the house including central heating. Serious pain when night time temperatures drop to -14 or -20 C. so it is an idea and I have thrown my resume at them to see what they will say, just fishing you know. The other one is the Qatar II gas project. The worlds largest LNG project and I have a contact who is the lead rotating equipment engineer working for the customer, EXXON, and again Qatar isn’t the greatest place in the world but at least they have a normal city with all the normal features of a civilised world. Shops and hotels and bars I think and great connections to the real world. But again the summer temperatures can reach 45 C and that is also very not nice. But at least my lips wouldn’t have cracked and fallen off into the sand unless I had been staked out by some very unfriendly nomads for giving them some abuse for leaving a heavy trail of camel shit across my driveway. But it is easier to get to and a normal life could be had even though it may be a little more expensive, it isn’t very far from the UK or mainland Europe or even the far easy for a quick holiday so we will see what happens, but it looks nice in the Qatar travel web site

http://www.qatarembassy.net/Qatar%20Gallery/Entertainments/

I could have better entertainment than playing with butterflies all day, like snorkelling every weekend and sand buggying,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home