Monday, September 11, 2006

Another Day in the Tundra

Yesterday started of cold and windy, but as the day wore on it became miserable, the wind was hard and as the ground is just sand and nothing but soft wand it was ripping up the sand and using it like a tactical weapon. it was getting everywhere as it was dry and filling my ears and eyes and nose and getting all over my hair and face , I looked like a desert arab. the worse thing was that I was chasing around from one office to another and even accompanied a guy outside so he could smoke while we had a coffee and it was a stupid mistake as it filled my cup with sand and I was spitting grit and crunching grains afterwards for an hour, total misery. The average length of stay for contractors is about 1 day. Most arrive and find the crappy accommodation unliveable, all the regular guys have to stay in a room of four beds with a bathroom and toilet shared with maybe 25-50 other people. if you need to pee in the night you have to get dressed go into the long corridor and then to the bathroom, if you don't get up at 5.00 am then you cannot get a shower in the morning, or even to go to the toilet, this is intolerable and most Europeans cannot and rightly so will not tolerate such primitive conditions, I am lucky as the contract I am here on specifies that I am living in the management block, with your own bathroom and toilet, and eating without queuing, this is basic minimum you would expect if you travel to the end of the world and have to be in a place with no beer and no entertainment and no life, plus the money is the same.
Today the weather is sunny and cold not windy thank Buddha but my rotations are all screwed up. My visa is for 72 days total and as I am supposed to rotate out of here for a break and then come back for as month then all is to ratshit. I may have to fly home this week and then back in two weeks and then spend an entire month here. This is going to play havoc with my jetlag and plus I am not going to complete my 1500 hours on my contract and I may have to come back for a 3rd rotation, this is something I am not going to accept. I accepted only 2 rotations and I will not work here 1 month more as I would have to come back here around 26th of December, in the middle of ultra-cold winter. I cannot do this, I would rather quit and go and pick coffee in my adopted country of Costa Rica. Other than this some poor soul fell off a ladder and broke his leg, this site has now last its lost time accidents record of 3 million worked hours and no lost time accidents, some one is going to lose his bonus and he will not be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home