Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life in Gulag Cheyvo Russia

Well I have had a week in the camp in the Gulag Chayvo, Sakhalin. It is crap, I have been unfortunately put into the crappy drilling camp, no phone no internet, crappy beds and I have to share a bedroom and this is the first time in 15 years I have been reduced to sleeping in a shared room. No bathroom, you have to step across the corridor to go and pee in the middle of the night, I don’t mind disturbing my room mate as he is a snorer, his snoring isn’t bad but enough to keep waking me when he is choking on his slack soft palate. The food is average and it is 5 Km away so we have to get the bus, I am not allowed to lay in my bed in a morning as the bus leaves at 5.30am and I have to get up at 4.50am to have a wash and get my breakfast. This is torture, and I have 3 more weeks of it to endure. The weather is turning cold and we even had a few snowflakes dropping the other day and it was blowing cold. I have a holiday planned for Hawaii and this is the only thing I can focus on, everything else here is pretty miserable and depressing, nothing can prepare you for the negative sort of atmosphere that pervades all aspects of the daily routine. I am running like a soldier all day, making sure my schedule is on time as if I miss the bus I am screwed, not that I have much to do, I can spend time on the internet in the office but I am limited to what I can see as it is on the oil company’s network and is fire-walled for certain things like blogs. The guy I am sharing a room with is pretty good actually; he is a Brit from the north like me and very funny, but he snores and as everyone who knows me I am the worlds worst crappiest sleeper, I am so tired these days I am in bed before 9pm and sleep through ‘til 2am when I need to pee and his snoring is waking me. Please God you viscous bastard, tell me what I did in a previous life to piss you off this much. Buddha is a much nicer god.
So Hawaii on the cheap is the name of the game, we are going to stay at a friends house and he is also loaning me a car, woohoo, that is a $1000 at least. We are going to do the wilderness thing with lots of walking and beach things and some whale watching if it is the season. Hawaii is one of those places that has inspired me to travel all my life and I will once again be horribly disappointed and will be blogging about all the crappy aspects of it but who knows. Trying to use my Airmiles is pointless as they restrict the number of seats per plane to 5 I think and if you don’t book 12 months in advance then you cannot ever use the miles, what is the point you assholes, we have to use the miles sometime, or do they prefer that we get all pissed off and never use them. Jeez what is that all about, making it hard to use the miles you have suffered for to obtain.
We will see what the big boss has to say about me not having my room and if he offers me a permanent job in this God forsaken place. One good thing my first bird book is finished and I am now completing the second, of the Cayman Islands, I have found out it seems a nice place to go and pretty civilised so I may plan a trip to there if I can find the time and a friend who lives there to do it cheap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home