Monday, December 01, 2008

We Broke the Turbine and I got An Expert who was My trainee

Well this week has seen some strange things happen, I came to this project to clean up some outstanding points and not really do much else but i arrived just as the customer was going to start the unit up after a shutdown. So I demanded a Steam TA arrive to cover me if we had any problems, as typical some knashing of teeth and some whining and complaining nobody arrived, I then basically told them i wasn't going to do the start up or take any responsibility for anything going wrong with the unit, they finally said they were urgently sending a guy but he was arriving a day after the start up. So I had to get to the site early and we attempted to start the unit, things were going good then they asked me to do some step changes in speed, I asked for the procedures, I only got a blank stare, I had to get this thing doing stuff without as much as a piece of toilet paper, it was difficult, but 30 minutes into the test the unit suffered some strange vibrations and we had to slow it down then we thought we had it covered, we got back up to speed and almost immediately the vibrations went crazy and we got a hot bearing, very hot, and the unit tripped as it was basically jumping 2 feet in the air, I dont get excited about things like this anymore but i knew this was going to cost them a lot of money. I was hoping the steam Expert could assist with the startup and when i read who was arriving i nearly chocked on my beer, it was a guy who I had taught on site 3 years ago and got him his job as a contractor, so my old buddy who was my trainee now is back to teach the master. Oh Buddha isn't this a small world, he arrived at his hotel and he called me to have a night drinking with me, he picked me up and we went to his hotel on the local swanky gold course with a little internal village, and bars and shops and restaurants, we went to the bar and had sushi and cocktails all night long, we were so drunk i had to sleep in the spare bed in his room, man my head hurt the next day but as the sun was out we went to my hotel as it is on the beach we went to spend all day sun bathing talking shite and eating and drinking fruit juice. They have an amazing hot-tub by the pool as the pool is freezing by now and the hot-tub is steaming, but when we went to it it was almost boiling, we could hardly get into it. What a day we had, non-stop catching up on jobs and family and who has done what and where, it was like we had only seen each other the weekend before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home