Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Celebration Party All Alone

I am still feeling elated by my impending departure to what I think is going to be a wonderful and relaxing destination. I have only been on day shift for 5 days and I am still not sleeping properly yet, I have tried my valium but had only limited effect I did get a good sleep Friday night but after a lot of beer, which was my first in nearly 3 weeks, so I thought last night I would try it again. Friday was a reasonable night out with a good 15 people in the clubhouse so I was hoping to get one last good night in the clubhouse and when I got in there was 6 people and that drifted down to 4, but you would think that I would have a steady night in the bar, unfortunately it turned out that they were all far faster than me and I fancied drinking gin and Tonic, this was a mistake. I ended up drinking it like lemonade and by the time we were all leaving for an early night I was almost legless. I even had to leave a full glass almost. I staggered back to my room and slumped into bed with the last thought in my mind, “ I am going to get a good nights sleep”, this of course was a fantasy. I was wide awake at 4am feeling like shit with a horrendous taste in my mouth and a huge knot in my stomach, my head was Ok but my body felt like I had just been stomped by a horse. I ached all over and I felt like I had slept very badly, I knew as soon as a woke up that it was futile to try and get back to sleep, so I got dressed and found a bag of peanuts in my travel bag that I had ‘borrowed’ from the air France business lounge in Paris, the salt tasted delicious and my body was craving salt and water, I was gulping like a goldfish my bottled water and devouring the salty nuts, after I had finished my body still felt terrible, I caught the early bus to the canteen and decided to have the full fried breakfast all salty and greasy, it is a primal desire I think. I had everything on the fried food bar, bacon , lots of bacon and scrambled eggs and beans , stewed tomatoes and toast, a huge plateful, I was actually feeling very queasy whilst I was eating it, in fact I had doubts that I could keep it down after I had eaten it, I was wondering if I had made another tactical error eating so much. I walked back to the office feeling ill and full of greasy food with that huge knot still in my guts. I sat at my computer for another 3 hours trying to let the food do its job of getting some good things into my bloodstream. So what can I deduce from my night out in the clubhouse, alcohol doesn’t make me sleep any better, eating a big greasy meal for breakfast doesn’t cure a hangover and gulping lots of water can only induce vomiting if not carefully controlled, something I should never want to do ever again , until the next time of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home