Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My hopeless ability to judge walking distances

The Next day we awoke after a 10 hour sleep which for an old fart like me is amazing, I cannot remember sleeping like this for so many years. I must be feeling happy with the way things were going. We went down for breakfast continental style and ate croissants and fruits and yoghurt and lots of coffee, just high calorie filling stuff to help with the burn of the walking again through town, we decided to get the bus in and found the stop into town just up the road and jumped on the first bus, we looked around for where to pay and the driver had a screen around him and no way to pay him and then no machine that would take coins on the bus so we were stumped, lots of people jumped on and didn’t have tickets, it was obvious that you had to pay to get a ticket but where and how, we got off in town and walked away after our free ride and went straight to the science museum that Jenny had found out about in a guide, I am not one normally for science museums but it was Jenny’s choice and that’s OK with me, we went straight to it, an easy place to find as it was next to the Palazzo Vecchio, we paid our 7.50 euros and started looking around the floors to find it was dedicated to Galileo, the master mathematician and Astronomer , as I said the Medici’s were so fantastically rich and ruled the area like Kings and had there own art school and all the great people of the day in Italy worked for the Medici’s. Galileo’s own telescope was there and some other instruments of his and most ghoulishly was his middle finger in a reliquary jar like some saint. Weird stuff really, but it was fully of fantastic old telescopes and measuring devices and sextants and theodolites and clocks and surgical stuff from over the last 500 years, it was a great place. That took us passed 1 o’clock and we went for lunch and afterwards we decided to try the palazzo pitti the big palace over the river. It takes a while to get there by walking but my legs are numb and I don’t feel a thing, I could see Jenny was flagging but we only had this weekend and we wanted to see it all, I was taking pictures like a madman with my new camera, we got to the palace and found a large queue and stood like good children to get in and the time was ticking away, nearly 3 by my cheap watch. We were stood with crowds of Japanese and Americans and many French also, I was listening to the conversations of the folks buying tickets and it was all the same 14.50 euros and no mention of timed tickets, I thought it would take us at least 3 hours and maybe 5 to go around the Palace and gardens as it is huge, I had read on the internet about some 3 day tickets that would be cheaper and mean you could get in several days at a time, I attempted to buy a 3 day ticket when I got to the front but the guy just looked at me like I was an alien, I decided to come back in the morning and have a full day in the palace. Jenny wanted to do some shopping for souvenirs but she realised that this place was too damned expensive for that sort of game. And as a self confessed shoeaholic she was in heaven withy the fancy Italian style shoes on offer but as she says she has more that she can wear and only goes window shopping, luckily. But it is a great place for fashion shopping crazy stuff never seen in Costa Rica that is a fact. We walked around and around and found the market where they were selling stuff much cheaper including fake Rolex watches and Gucci watches and fake designer bags and loads of crappy souvenirs. I then asked if we could walk and have a quick look at the old fort as it wasn’t far by my reckoning, we walked about 2 kilometres out town and then my reckoning to get back to the bus station was about as bad again, another 3 or 4 kilometres, we were both about crying at the aching feet and legs, we got another taxi to take us home and once more slumped into a really firm and almost uncomfortable bed, to try and rest for another day of endless walking, but once again slept like babies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home