Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Final leaving Party, Honestly

Well after one more final leaving party, any excuse for a contractor for a party, I slept like shit again and awoke at 4.10 feeling like death but with a heart full of joy at it being my last ever day in Equatorial stinking rotten Guinea, I have grown to dislike the place a lot, not for the place but how it has made me suffer with lack of sleep for the 8 month long trips I have been here. I was waiting outside my accommodation waiting for the bus and saw the Air France plane land and felt my heart lift even higher as my replacement was flying in on that very plane. Today was a day of sorting out how much money I would get paid for being in Peru and what hotel I would be staying in and anything else they would like to tell me before I fly in a weeks time. They seem to be very cagey with the information, god knows why, perhaps they are all so busy that I am not that important but it feels very important to me. All they keep banging on about is the necessity to get all my vaccinations and blood tests completed. Who cares, I want to know where I am going to sleep the night I fly in and how much I can spend on food that night while I have a choice and not have to accept the strange food being served by a guy in a string vest with a cigarette in his mouth, which is what it’ll be like in the jungle camp “Malvinas”, the name has a strange link for the Brits around the world as it is the name given by the Argentinians for the Falkland Islands. So that could be a bad start. But I think my hopeless attempts at Spanish should break the ice and start some laughter, that is good for me and could be great for the site. There is virually nobody on site from the contractors now and it sems a totally different place to when I arrived 13 months ago, a bustling hive of activity with more men than you could shake a stick at. I have many e-mail addresses and many fond memories of the place. I was told of a job in Kuwait that a guy went for as rotating equipment engineer , resident married status and they are paying $148,000 a year tax free with house and all benefits of medical and dental and school if needed, he got the job and his wife refused to go as it was very hot and too close to Iraq, I can imagine how he felt but jeez the money is great, sounds like I am going in the wrong direction for that money. So I am going to pack for the last time in 2 hours time, take a few beers and get aboard my plane and leave without a tear in my eye and a happy thought of getting home to my wife and kids for a new chapter in my adventures of The Travelling Engineer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home