Monday, September 05, 2005

Bowel Function and a Shower of Hairnets and Moths

Well I have a piece of great news for you all and it has been a welcome event for me, my bowel function has been returned back to pre-Turkmenistan levels of perfection. I am having many thoughts about why for so long was I suffering to the point I had become to think I was permanently damaged. I am sure that the Anti-Malarial drugs I was taking must have been a major part of that and I was taking them for 13 months, and then also the fact I was working in Africa with all the miserable bugs that infect the whole continent , we even had a cholera outbreak in the local town which killed many. So basically I was lucky with my problems. So now I am a fully functioning member of the human race again and I am so goddam happy about that. Plus I have to give a huge compliment to the cooks here in Peru, I have spent my last 5 weeks out of 9 here in Peru since I left Malabo and they do cook some very good and if simple food and the level of cleanliness is fantastic, they all wear face masks when cooking and serving and even when washing the pots, hairnets and latex gloves, steady all you pervs.
Well this trip started 5 days ago and it has been the season of the monstrous moths. I have never seen so many and such fantastic colours on moths in my entire life, the tongues on some of the ones in the pics are 20cms long that is 8 inch for all us old farts. So they must feed on some very strange flowers probably orchids as we are in the jungle you know. When I walk around some of the site there are clouds of moth erupting from the walls and floor as they have been resting in the shade and waiting for nightfall to go crazy in the big lights again. I have almost given up saving the moths from the screens as most of the moths are almost dead when I remove them and when I leave them somewhere to escape they are still there the next day but eaten away by the ants so they don’t survive very well after being on the screens all night, I still rescue all the butterflies though. So my desk is now full of giant moths and they would have all the schoolgirls screaming they are so big and scary and have the biggest eyes on any insect I have ever seen.




My Spanish is coming on very slowly and I am very pleased that almost everyone wants to learn English so it gives me no end of pleasure to help them practice, it ends up where they are speaking in English and I reply in Spanish, but very bad Spanish, I don’t feel so embarrassed either about making silly mistakes, they all laugh their asses off at me anyway.
House hunting went good and bad for the wife, she said they want lots of money and the house will need gutting and lots of more money spending on them, so I will have to go and look myself to determine what they need, sounds like everything to me including the roof, they are tin as all the old houses are and they will always leak, they need some new external bathrooms adding to the house and a new kitchen downstairs with perhaps a huge dining room to be able to take food outside. The garden is bigger than she said first time, about 150 meters long and maybe over 100 wide with a creek at the back with lots of fruit trees and iguanas. Sounds like paradise to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home