Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Chasing Llmamas and trying not to starve to death


Here in Peru we have at the moment a big expansion going on, they are in the process of developing a second field and putting in two more compressors. They are carrying out seismic work in the jungle to establish the full area of the gas field. I was told there are 1600 men working actually in the jungle itself. They eat sleep and work in the jungle, sleeping under mosquito nets and living as far as I would imagine a pretty miserable existence. For all their hard work, on a 60 days on and 14 days off rotation, sweating and suffering bites and anything else that happens to be in the jungle they are paid the princely sum of Sol 500 a month, that equates to about $100 a month, can you imagine working for that, and I was told that is good pay for a labourer, in Peru there is a basic minimum that employers have to pay and it is less than the $100 a month, so thank the lord I wasn’t born in Peru. Sometimes I complain about my salary and long hours and flying but Jeezus holy hairy mary, that is a miserable wage and I wonder what sort of pitiful life they lead at home, no wonder they chew coca leaves, its just to kill the hunger and dull the misery. That goes back to the horrible images on the TV, it is meant to make all the poor people think they are lucky to have not been murdered or died in that high speed car smash. Out in the mountains and outback of Peru I am told it is even worse for jobs and trying to make a living, that is why everyone under the sun in Peru is heading for Lima, even though it is a desert and is full of dangerous criminals it is better than trying to scratch a living at 15,000 feet with two llamas for company, almost as bad as Kansas City, just kidding.




Running to catch the pretty one, well it is Friday night
Today we had an emergency and we all had to evacuate to the muster point. I arrived and whilst we were all standing about and looking bored I realised that I was quite close to the plant and basically if there had been a large escape of gas and an explosion I would probably have been in the blast zone and died along with the other 100 people stood there, I have now decided that in any future evacuation I will walk down to the river, it is at a lower point than the surrounding land and I could always jump into the water if needed if I saw flames spreading violently, but i would probably get eaten by the Pirahnas or some giant catfish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home