Thursday, March 09, 2006

Jobs and Money and Naughty Boys

I spent a rainy afternoon last week shooting off resumes to agencies all over the world, I wasn’t expecting much out of it but my wife had a very excited man on the telephone demanding to speak to me, she did explain to him that I was working in Peru in a camp and he probably wouldn’t be able ring me as I am not normally at my desk. Well he finally accepted this explanation and just mailed me, demanding that I call him back immediately. As there is a 11 hour time difference to Singapore I missed him by a day, so the next day I rang him and we spoke for a short while and he told me a competitor gas turbine company was hiring staff for south Asia working on a 28 day rotation as I am now and he was offering a great deal of money. I was quite shocked and very happy at the same time, after we spoke me was doing the mental arithmetic, about how many days working and hours working and making those totals that make you think about buying a new Porsche sports car. I couldn’t quite believe it and wanted it to be true so I crafted a nice e-mail asking him to clarify the amounts of money he was talking about, it was like $80 an hour worked and all time off was like $1000 a week, this was too good to be true, and yes the next day he mailed me back telling me that the figures he had been given were incorrect, the salary was about right but the hours worked total was wrong by about half, I was deflated again, I was spending all the money before I had gotten it into my grubby sweaty hands, I don’t want to work offshore again anyway and if the money is the same or less than what I am making now then what is the point, I can get a nice comfortable job where I can take my wife and live a happy life for a while, flying in helicopters is bad for the body, all far too stressful and bad for the Karma. So I settled into expecting a poor offer from the afore mentioned gas turbine maker and carried on with my slow slow job.
We are still shutdown from the pipeline blast and the company is losing maybe $10 million a week from being shutdown, and the government is still talking about pulling the licence to operate. People are starting to twitch about the future prospects for working here.
Today I had a powerpoint sent to me that showed probably one of the most gruesome pictures I have seen in a long time. This criminal had been running away from the police and jumped over a wall without looking first and he jumped onto a spikey railing. The problem was the spike entered his head and his body just dead weighted against the head and actually was torn free, leaving the head London Bridge Style on a spike on the railings. Quite unbelievable. Now it just goes to prove the point that you should always “look before you leap”. What ever he was doing to be chased by the police, he will not be doing it anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home