Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Horror of all Horrors in the Jungle

Today started as any normal day does, tons of miscellaneous mail and people I don’t know asking me lots of question I don’t know the answer to, typical stuff. Then I trundle off to the plant and do my inspections and then the butterfly rescue. This last few days has seen far more butterflies than normal so I have been busy taking many off the screens again pretty tame stuff, but I was confronted by a dark hairy small bat again and it was very cold this time, I scooped it up and kept it in my hands as I walked away from the plant to get it away from any dangers, I looked up and there were many of the Roadside hawks flying around but far away over the other side. I took it maybe 100 yards away and opened my hands to see the face of this tiny creature only 2 inches long and a cute little face, it wasn’t very happy and its feet wee still very cold, I was thinking about putting it in my pocket for a while to let it warm right through and I wish I had. It walked around my hand and then positioned itself for a fall off my hand and started flying away. I was so pleased to have rescued a bat again and I was elated to see it flying away but less than 5 seconds into flight and I see out of the corner of my eye a hawk swooping down at high speed and it scooped up the bat and flew away and started tearing into it as it went.




I was horrified beyond belief, I was shouting obscenities at it as it flew away and cursing that I hadn’t looked around more closely and that I hadn’t walked far enough away to the trees to give it cover or even put in my pocket. I was so totally pissed off about it, I was shocked. I returned to my butterfly rescuing and finished to go to the office and recount my tale of horror to the engineers who asked me if I had started feeding breakfast to the hawks and laughed as they walked away. I can see the funny side but the poor little creature must have thought he was going to survive after all only to be torn apart by a hawk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home