Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dragging me away from My CD Bird Book Creation

Well life has taken on a new meaning since I had the idea of creating a CD reference book of the birds of Costa Rica. I cannot wait to keep slaving away downloading all those copyright protected photos from the net and adding all those pages, the only problem is that I am finding so many really high quality pictures that I am going to run out of space for a CD and it is looking like it is going to be a DVD, not that it matters. But it is also taking a heavy drain on my time and I have started complaining to the operators and engineers if they interrupt my downloading. I think someone may notice that I am never to be seen. There again they don’t care as long as the turbines keep whining.
There has been a definite change in the weather, sorry to talk about the weather but not a lot happens here in this jungle, it has been dry but mostly overcast and just miserable, I had almost forgotten that I am a sun worshipper and if I don’t see the sun it makes me melancholy. This is one of the strange parts of being in the jungle it is nothing like you expect, today it is grey and fresh, not cool but the wind takes away your body heat, and when I have been walking about the plant, when I can drag myself away from my downloading it is like a summers day in the UK, all fresh and grey and no butterflies and not a lot else either actually, I only like walking about when the sun is burning off my nose, anyone heard of the expression ‘brass monkey weather’, well it comes from the an old english saying cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey and I checked out where it originated from, there was this crazy story about old sailing ships having their canon balls sat on a brass device called a monkey, and some crap about differential shrinking rates due to temperature, it turns out it actually originated in the USA and was used to indicate hot temperatures, hot enough to melt the nose off a brass monkey, as a brass monkey was a symbol of some company, so actually freezing the balls of a brass monkey is a very crude expression and not to be used in polite company. Here endeth the lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home