Friday, April 28, 2006

How Do Those Professional Photographers Get Those Great Shots

I have been practising with my new camera here in Peru, trying to get shots of birds and butterflies in the forest around the camp. It is surprisingly difficult to snap anything worthwhile. I am thwarted by the fact that I am stomping around like a trojan, making lots of noise and have nothing to offer those creatures in the way of a bribe to come and let me take a picture. I have found some bushes where some butterflies come to take a drink but they are small and only a few butterflies come to them. I am of the opinion that wildlife photography is difficult and requires planning and practice and lots of food for birds and insects to attract them to your hide. The practicalities of photography are a bit of a shock and even the huge telephoto lens I have is useless at anything over 15-20 meters away, birds look like a small spec in the horizon. The real professionals must use those hideously expensive giant super telephoto lenses that cost about $7000. so I am already compromised on what I can snap away at and I have missed two great opportunities to snap what looked like a huge hawk as I wasn’t looking in the right place and also a wonderful blue headed bird that just popped up in a bush in front of me and I didn’t have time to bring the camera up at it before it flew away, this game is frustrating but at least it makes me get out of the office and spend time away from my computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home