Saturday, September 26, 2009

Night Shift in Oz, making me Feel Really Old

I was hoping to get a normal posting here in Oz and it turned into a trial of endurance, i had already worked 6 weeks on 12 hour shifts getting up at 5.30am, now they put me on night shift, I wasn't happy, the job is easy enough, with very little to do other than watch over the operators carry out loop checks and calibrate valves and stuff, but trying to enjoy the part of the day when I was awake and not at work was hard, we are in a very remote part of Australia and the town is tiny but at least it had a McDonalds, better than the bar food in the hotel, trying to eat a healthy meal is almost impossible, I am eating steak and salad everyday almost, and almost nothing on the night shift, like a bowl of soup as the rest of the food is appalling, so now I wished I hadn't volunteered for this job, it was a stupid and insane thing to do, it was just because it was Australia that I said yes, plus I am a greedy guy who wanted more money as I am planning this third floor extension, well the builder was offering to do the work over the winter, this is dangerous as taking off the roof is exposing your house to ingress of water during the rains, not a safe thing to do, so we have postponed it until the next summer, I have no internet in the hotel, the TV has four crappy channels, the hotel is empty and I have only 2 colleagues in the hotel who I am working with who don't do anything during the day, so all in all a pretty miserable experience for this trip to Oz, some you win and some you lose, this was a bad loser. I am looking at taking off a very long break maybe until next spring to recover my brain and health, I need to lose a few pounds and get some decent sleep, something i need more practice at. next stop Costa Del Sol, Andalusia, Spain. eating sleeping and getting healthy fit and slim not necessarily in that order but something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home