Sunday, November 20, 2005

Planning to Take My Birthday Holiday Treat

Today is a day or rest, very similar to every other day I have here actually but I was basically keeping out of the torrential rain that was pounding down all night until mid morning. I am starting to plan for my leaving this rotation, I have been lucky that the planned shutdown for maintenance is on the day I leave, so I miss all of it, but actually I would have liked to see how you take apart a gas turbine, I only work on them when the mechanical stuff is finished and it needs to run.
What is the most important part of getting away from work, having lots of fun, and where? where it is cheapest of course you impetuous fool. Costa Rica is pretty damned good for the cheap part but very primitive in most others, overall still a far better bet than most developed northern hemisphere countries. So I will start planning my relaxation and I will try my new hobby of snorkelling again as that is something to get good at and I may even try to take a PADI course to go scuba diving, the problem with scuba diving though is that it is that it can be very dangerous. You can read all the time how some experienced diver has disappeared or been eaten by a shark or was washed away by the tide or got trapped in a sunken vessel, actually when you think about it just snorkelling can be just about as dangerous and the last time we went to Cahuita my wife was frightened to death by a “shark” in 3 feet of water, I didn’t see it but the next day I saw the “shark” and to be honest it was a very big fish and it moved with such speed that I knew it could bite off my ears and I wouldn’t be able to stop it, and it did frighten me as I knew I was in its element and I was like a lumbering elephant compared to that sleek fast moving fish but I suppose that is why I found it so compelling and fascinating. The colours and activities of the fish were as interesting as the birds flying around the cabin site and just floating about in the warm waters was more relaxing than just laying about on the beach drinking beer, well almost as relaxing but far more interesting. It is the thoughts of this that keep me motivated doing this job in a far away land with not much to do in the way of social activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home