Friday, February 24, 2006

I love Dentists

As an aging horse my teeth are starting to show their age also. My jaw weighed about 2Kg with all the mercury amalgam in it. About 8 weeks ago I developed a severe sensitivity to hot or cold drinks and it was really painful and it had me worried. I haven’t had a real problem with my teeth for many years and I hate the nagging unstoppable pain that it can give you. So as soon as I got back from Peru I went to the dentist and he only found a small slightly damaged spot that didn’t need filling and he recommended some anti-sensitising toothpaste, I wasn’t satisfied as I know this is a problem when you jump 6 feet in the air when you just sip some coca leaf tea. I demanded further investigation and he looked and poked about and said he could see nothing wrong with that tooth but I had a problem with about 3 other fillings that needed removing and replacing with the latest white epoxy twin pack resin that will last forever and still be around after all my teeth have decayed away and not even my skull exists. He had me convinced that that is what I needed, I sat and actually had 4 replaced and nothing done with the aching tooth. He told me to go back in two weeks to see how the pain was going. I paid what I thought was a small amount about $60 and when I got home all the white fillings looked great. I was hooked on this new addiction. I persevered with the toothpaste and actually it did work and the pain subsided slowly and I can drink without pain now. I went back after two weeks and I asked how much for the whole lower jaw. He said $120 and I said “ praise the lord and get to work”, I sat for 3 hours with my jaw splayed wide open and had all them horrible grey heavy things drilled out and a Hollywood style whiteness implanted in my teeth that actually illuminated the inside of my mouth like fluorescing fungi. Again I was further hooked, I had to work over Christmas but as soon as I got back I was into the dentist and said how much for the entire upper jaw. $160 was the reply. This was more work than a day so after two visits I had no more black ugly poisonous fillings left in my head. I was elated but a couple of days later I felt a lot of sensitivity starting to develop in the lower wisdom tooth area to the point I couldn’t bite on it and now after 4 weeks I am back in the jungle unable to eat in the left side of my mouth. I did ring and ask and he said this is a normal side effect with some people. It would just take time he offered to me. It even feels like a little toothache at nights and just feels funny and different. This is hardly surprising after he removed a total of 25 fillings. He had a nifty camera that he could stuff into my mouth and take a snapshot for the computer to show, he showed me how some of the old fillings leaked as he called it, meaning that food and crap could get behind the filling and decay the tooth and in two cases nearly resulted in me losing the tooth so he saved me from having more gaps than I have and stopped me looking like jaws. I wish I had more filling to have removed, perhaps I can have the good teeth filled with resin also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home