Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wild Changes To Destination

I travelled to Florence to the head office for the company I contract for and found the destination of my new job had been changed at 1 days notice. I was now going to Malabo, Equatorial Guinea. This was my old project before Peru, I wasn’t that bothered as it has beer and many brits working there and many I knew from my last stint. But the fact it was changed at such short notice is laughable. I actually find this lack of certainty quite entertaining. I had only 1 day in Florence and then off again flying for the third day in a row and missing many hours of sleep once more. I got into Malabo at 5.00am and nobody seemed to know I was arriving and I went on the Marathon Oil bus and I had no keys waiting for any accommodation and got a really shitty room in the canteen. I spoke for about 2 hours with the guys in the office and went to bed to grab a few hours sleep. When I got up I was told not only was I not meant to be there but I was actually on the wrong plant. Small informational disparity, I was told wrong information and ended up in the wrong camp, all very funny but for me a far better assignment, I was going to go on an installation job working on new plant and not on shift work on operations. Woohoo, I almost felt happy but was so tired I couldn’t cheer. The new camp was built by the biggest contracting company in the world and they really know how to do it right for the guys, there is a bar and a swimming pool and mini Walmart and the rooms are pretty good, so much better than the crappy place I was working in Peru. I have an office of great Italians all shouting and waving their arms about and making super strong coffee to help get you going in the morning. I will take some pics and post them once I get over the rotten jetlag and start working on the plant proper, 1 important problem is the fact that the new plant is meant to be working in 8 weeks time, I think just like my buddy in India the company is hopelessly optimistic about the start date and I reckon if it is working by Christmas it will be a miracle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home