Thursday, June 08, 2006

Oh Lordy Sakhalin Sounds like Shite

What have I let myself in for with this Russian posting. I have been speaking with the main contractor today and he was scathing at the miserable site that the plant was constructed in, this made me feel a bit desperate, he claims it is built in a swamp that this time of year is swarming with Mosquitoes. The name of the place is Chayvo and in the Indian tongue it means place that should be avoided. Basically it is a miserable shithole and if it wasn’t for the fact I am only supposed to do two or now possible three rotations into it I would be desperate. The food is potatoes every meal but as an Englishman brought up on meat and two veg this is a positive thing. Pork is the main meat for the camp but again no alcohol and no fun basically. But the travel to a far off distant land still holds its appeal for me and I will look positively at this. I am also finding out that this construction site is far behind schedule and nothing will be running while I am there and may not be until after I have left. So it seems I am a victim of a pre-prepared schedule made years ago and with far too much optimism and not enough real life pessimism. Also obtaining the visa it turning into a nightmare of telephone calls to long far flung places, I could spend another 10 days here in Florence waiting to travel but that is something I can endure with fortitude. Long live the hopeless planner in Houston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home